Re: fresnel (was Re: RDF+Transformation = XHTML or is there sth like inverse GRDDL?)

Bruce D'Arcus wrote:
> What's the consensus on Fresnel?
>
> It seems obvious to me that RDF needs a decent templating language,
> and AFAIK Fresnel is the only option. Is that right, or are there others?
>
> I've found some grumbling about the fact that Fresnel is defined in
> RDF (I can see the argument on both sides, though lean towards the
> belief that plain XML would have been better), but not a whole lot more.

Incubating at OpenRDF.org is a project called Alibaba.  It is a new
effort to create a OWL DL ontology called point-of-view that (like
Fresnel) will describe how RDF data should be displayed in HTML and
other formats.  It differs from Fresnel in that it will serve as a
presentation model (written in Java Interfaces) for more structured RDF
data.  The intention is to complement Fresnel with a more complete and
structured OWL DL for use when working with structured RDF-OWL data with
strict display requirements.

By using a presentation model expressed in JavaBeans it allows for a
host of JSP-like templating languages to be used.  I am currently
experimenting with Groovy templates and how they can be best used in
Alibaba. I have also successfully used this presentation model with
facelets to render interactive XHTML search interfaces using domain
neutral templates.

The project is just starting up and is a couple months away from a first
release.  However, if anyone is interested in contributing their time on
this effort please contact me.  You can find the source code at this
subversion address:
https://src.aduna-software.org/svn/org.openrdf/sandbox/james_leigh/alibaba/

Cheers,
James