Re: Named RDF Graphs - A Warning

Sean B. Palmer wrote:
> This isn't so bad with namespaces, but I think it will be for graphs.

Not so bad? Let's hope the XML-DEV people will miss that quote :-)

> People will start using using HTTP URIs that return a 200 to identify
> RDF Graphs, whereas RDF Graphs are disjoint with information
> resources.

This may not be true in a "closed" system (same as RDF URIs in general I
believe). Agreed, @rdf:graph should consider URIs to be just identifiers
but, similarly to other URI usecases, interpreting
graph_identifying_URIs as locators can be a design decision in the
context of a specific system.

Other than that and although I am rather unqualified as a mere mortal to
say so, @rdf:graph is probably not enough for URIs to be widely used as
locators more openly. This locator VS identifier thing with most things
W3C is what makes life hard for us plain folks out there though.

A solution could involve more info on the resource depending on the
problem one sees with the approach, including format, availability,
security etc, but that info may not be available.  Another solution
would be the employment of URIQA [1] or anything that simply extends the
WWW architecture. BTW I find the CBD [2] concept (used in URIQA)
extremely relevant for, errr.. locator URIs. The benefit of using
something like URIQA is that it would quickly become transparent
mortals. Using metadata for the graph would simply adds to the
complexity for anyone with practical purposes IMHO.

[1] http://sw.nokia.com/uriqa/URIQA.html
[2] http://www.w3.org/Submission/CBD/

Cheers,

Manos