Re: annotea status?

From: Ralph R. Swick <swick@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 05:30:23 -0400
To: Amit Kapoor <amitkapoor@mindspring.com>
Cc: semantic-web@w3c.org

At 09:51 PM 8/29/2007 -0700, Amit Kapoor wrote:
>    1. Annotation versions

I like versioning in all things, but sadly we never discussed it in Anntoea.

>        We have solved it by adding Dublin Core "replaces" and "isReplacedBy"
>        predicates to the Annotation class. There are other ways of solving
>        this, but we thought it was the simplest.

I like this solution.  It seems to generalize to all sorts of resources
and it's easy to add to the model.

This does have the side-effect that annnotations of version n are not
naturally retrieved with version n+1.  That's true, of course, for all
annotated resources that are versioned if the version identifier is
part of the URI.

>    2. Single annotation over multiple documents with multiple contexts.
>
>        We have not done anything about this right now. Increasing the
>        cardinality of 'annotates' and 'context' does not provide a mechanism
>        to determine which 'context' is associated with which 'annotates'.

We did not consider this use case either.

>        Another case here is of having a single annotation over multiple
>        'context' over the same document. This is solvable potentially by
>        increasing the cardinality for 'context'.

We did talk about this use case quite extensively and did plan to
permit multiple context triples exactly as you suggest.

-Ralph