Re: Datatypes

From: Garret Wilson <garret@globalmentor.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 11:32:59 -0700
To: Reto Bachmann-Gmür <reto@gmuer.ch>
CC: semantic-web@w3.org

Reto Bachmann-Gmür wrote:
> Garret Wilson wrote:
>
>> Although from reading the specs you might think that RDF allows you to
>> create your own typed literal datatypes from scratch, in practice the
>> only really useful typed literals are a subset of the XML Schema
>> datatypes: strings, integers, booleans, and URIs---
>>
> why? RDF calendar is an example of a very extensive usage of custom type
> literals

That's interesting. I'll have to go check it out. Can you point me to
the RDF Calendar spec you're reading? I just glanced at
http://www.w3.org/TR/rdfcal/ , and the only custom datatype I could find
was surrounding time zones---and the document mentions that this is an
issue that is not resolved, using an experimental namespace.

>> and you'll find that many people recommend using plain literals over
>> xsd:string data-typed literals anyway, for various reasons.
>>
> curios to know those reasons. I use plain literals for natural language
> text (e.g. a description), while using xsd:string for things like a
> password (which doesn't have a language)

See the thread on the list with the subject, "what is a plain literal?"

>> You'll even find some people who don't even to believe that
>> from-scratch custom datatype literals can exist---or can only be
>> created for a small group of things that they think are string-like.
>>
> where can I find them?

On this list. Search the archives for "George W. Bush" and "literals".

Garret