Re: Datatypes

From: Reto Bachmann-Gmür <reto@gmuer.ch>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 20:03:36 +0200
To: Garret Wilson <garret@globalmentor.com>
CC: semantic-web@w3.org
Garret Wilson wrote:

> Although from reading the specs you might think that RDF allows you to
> create your own typed literal datatypes from scratch, in practice the
> only really useful typed literals are a subset of the XML Schema
> datatypes: strings, integers, booleans, and URIs---
why? RDF calendar is an example of a very extensive usage of custom type
literals
> and you'll find that many people recommend using plain literals over
> xsd:string data-typed literals anyway, for various reasons.
curios to know those reasons. I use plain literals for natural language
text (e.g. a description), while using xsd:string for things like a
password (which doesn't have a language)
> You'll even find some people who don't even to believe that
> from-scratch custom datatype literals can exist---or can only be
> created for a small group of things that they think are string-like.
where can I find them? in my examples the things are string-like.

cheers,
reto