Re: Question about ontology query languages... (please reply!!!)

From: Bijan Parsia <bparsia@cs.man.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 17:56:05 +0100
Cc: semantic-web@w3.org
To: "Cristina Lancioni, Doctor in Computer Science" <cristina.lancioni@unicam.it>

On 10 Apr 2007, at 14:10, Cristina Lancioni, Doctor in Computer
Science wrote:

> Hello,
> I'm a phd student in Information Technology at the University of
> Camerino (Italy).
> I would like to know if it's possible to do recursive queries in

"Recursive query" can mean several things.

> In fact I've this problem. I've an ontology in OWL with only
> relations is-a.

Do you mean the subclass tree? are you using subclassof?

> This ontology is made like a tree. I would like to select a
> subgraph made of the path from the leaf node to the root node
> (result example: A(leaf) is-a B is-a C is-a D(root)).

Are you querying for class names?

> How could I do this using only a single query? Shoud I do this with
> SPARQL? If not, do You know another ontology query language to do
> this?

If you are building the ontology yourself, you could use a transitive
role in the ontology (e.g., for is-a), then a standard sparql query
will do the job (assuming that the store supports it).

There are some query languages that support a transitive closure
operator in the query, e.g., the one with Kowari/whatever it's called
now, the one in wilbur (which has more general regular expressions),
or you might try SPARQL Rules

Vanilla sparql will not do the job.

You could also lobby your favorite engine implementor for an extension.