Re: Finding News Taxonomies [was: RE: Towards a TAG consideration of CURIEs]

From: John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2007 17:50:55 -0400
To: "Booth, David (HP Software - Boston)" <dbooth@hp.com>
Cc: John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>, Misha Wolf <Misha.Wolf@reuters.com>, Richard Cyganiak <richard@cyganiak.de>, www-tag@w3.org, semantic-web@w3.org, public-xg-mmsem@w3.org, newsml-g2@yahoogroups.com

Booth, David (HP Software - Boston) scripsit:

> I'm confused by your point #3 below, as it seems to be implying that a
> document without a DTD could legitimately have an attribute of type ID
> with value "123456", and after looking at the specs I don't see how it
> can.  Did I miss something?  Detailed analysis below.

An xml:id processor will report a constraint violation when it sees
"xml:id='123456'" in an element, but it will perform ID type assignment
anyway, as noted in Section 4 of the xml:id Recommendation.

In addition, a conformant XML processor must report an attribute declared
to be of type ID as having that type, no matter what the value may be.
For example, the document:

        <!DOCTYPE items [
                <!ATTLIST item id ID #IMPLIED>
                ]>
        <items>
                <item id="123456">...</item>
        </items>

is not valid, but the id attribute of the item element is of type ID.
So you can use either xml:id or a (possibly partial) DTD to force
an attribute to be of type ID, and ignore any xml:id or validation errors.

Neither of these devices is available in valid XHTML documents, of course.

--
You are a child of the universe no less         John Cowan
than the trees and all other acyclic            http://www.ccil.org/~cowan