vCard/iCalendar RDF process document 2007-04-06

From: Garret Wilson <garret@globalmentor.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2007 17:19:28 -0700
To: semantic-web@w3.org
Everyone,

I'm attaching version 2007-04-06 of the process document I've created
for Directory/vCard/iCalendar. It's starting to be pretty
comprehensive---it covers all the top-level classes of these three
specifications, and addresses all the top-level properties of vCard.

I should note here that I'm not trying to take over anyone's current
role or get in the way of Harry, Brian, or Norman editing the ontology
spec. I'm just trying to do some work to move the project forward,
because this is a specification that I personally really need done as
soon as possible, and I hope that my work can be useful in putting
together a W3C specification that we call can use.

In fact, I plan on making available an alpha version of a project in
just a few days that will start producing RDF vCard data, so there's a
few things that I'd like to nail down so that I won't start having the
whole legacy transitional data problem to deal with. If a few people
could give me their opinions on the following questions, I'd be grateful:

   1. Do you plan on keeping "2006" in the namespace, or changing it to
      "2007"? I'd say "2007", but it doesn't really matter---I just need
      to know.
   2. What is the reaction to having a separate Directory namespace that
      would incorporate elements shared between vCard and iCalendar? In
      other words, I'd much rather have a single directory:Geo class
      than duplicate vcard:Geo and icalendar:Geo classes.
   3. What do people think of using namespaces that indicate the
      vCard/iCalendar relationship with text/directory? That is,
      http://www.w3.org/2007/directory/ns# for Directory,
      http://www.w3.org/2007/directory/vcard/ns# for vCard, and
      http://www.w3.org/2007/directory/icalendar/ns# for iCalendar?

The most important thing in the short term for me, then, is the
namespace division---can a few people give me their thoughts? (Comments
on the attached document are welcome, too.)

Thanks,

Garret