Re: A URI for your Favourite Pub: httpRange-14 Question

I think the amount of work and technical knowledge required by the
solution you choose makes rightfully one wonder how can it be really the
right thing to do (if the SW is to go to the masses).

personally.. I am totally for this solution,
http://larry.masinter.net/duri.html#tdb

urn:tdb:<date>:<encoded-URI>

I see some beautiful things:

First its not HTTP! so it satistifes my #1 rule for being a potentially usable conceptual identifier.
(as i vocally expressed at the last identification workshop at www2006 ;-) lo all!)
nothing to maintain (URL in general do not live and in any reasonable scale),
no maintainer, so no cost, nothing to go "down" or "up".. no politics/jelousy/respect/worship
 over the maintainer  etc..

Second, since its not an http but its something different, it can be given a clear semantics. Semantics of http is
get the document at. Semantics of tbd: is "we're referring with a URI to the things that in that date was available at"
so .. since its given in the semantics that second part is a URI then one is free to dereference the second part and fall back
into the usual scenario.. but with no ambiguity.

Third, its extremely likely that others will automatically reuse that URI.
One can argue if this is fundamental component of the SW or not. I think it might be, but nobody can deny the
immense usefullness of this feature.

Forth, you're not minting into any other's namespace. Not that i am sure that is necessarely a bad
thing becouse nobody can enforce this on the SW since there is by definition nothing to get from the
owner of the domain (there is no get call). Plus.. anyone can talk aobut any URI .. who cares then if that doesnt exist?
If i see that someone said something about a URL (http://g1o.net isA uglypage) should i really go check if that someone was the owner of the URL before reusing the URL in a statement myself?
SW is about reuse.. so since that is not possible .. i guess there is nothing wrong.

Fifth, the date part then adds the level of stability, yet cripples a bit the previous definition (people could refer to the same thing looking at the respective web page at different times..) . Having the semantic of it however allows one the
decide whether to ignore the date and smush on that.. or do whatever else, also according to the "type".

... just the final note. In DBin pub application we provide the web site
of a pub listing engine to the users who want to talk aobut their
favorite pubs, they can locate their pub there, and dbin sticks a good
old # in the end :-) RDF things the URL and the #URI are different.
Browser see them as equals.

my 2 pragmatic cents, but will be happy to understand further or change
my mind if it is the case:-)
Giovanni