Re: looking for a semantically robust API to use as a model for a new rdfstore implementation

On 09/15/06/09/06 00:19 -0400, Aldo Bucchi wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I am building an RDF implementation in a proprietary scripting language.
>
>I have run into some design decisions that require some thought... for
>instance, which is the correct class hierarchy for the core model
>classes?? ( this is an OO language with simple inheritance ).
>I have found Sesame's class model quite adequate [1].

This problem is actually a bit complicated if you take into account not
only the RDF(S) core model, but also arbitrary RDFS schemas that you might
encounter.  In ActiveRDF [1] we capture RDFS class hierarchies in Ruby, but
that is not so simple since most OO  inheritance is less rich than RDFS
(e.g.  multiple inheritance, multiple membership).

Because Ruby is quite flexible we can do several tricks to allow these
hierarchies, but in the end it boils down to implementing the class
management ourselves. I'm not sure if you're considering this problem, or
whether you were just interested in the hierarchy of the core RDF(S) model,
but I thought I'd mention it. I can give more information about our
approach if you're interested.

 -eyal

[1] http://activerdf.org