Use or alias in vCard/RDF?

From: Norman Walsh <Norman.Walsh@Sun.COM>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 13:22:49 -0500
To: Semantic web list <semantic-web@w3.org>
/ Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org> was heard to say:
| Harry, Brian, Norm, DanBri,
|
| So we have another pair of URIs for latitude/longitude:
|
|  http://www.w3.org/2006/vcard/ns#latitude
|  http://www.w3.org/2006/vcard/ns#longitude
|
| Is it worth maintaining those URIs in addition to these?
|   http://www.w3.org/2003/01/geo/wgs84_pos#lat
|   http://www.w3.org/2003/01/geo/wgs84_pos#long
|
| I suggest not. I suggest obsoleting 2006/vcard/ns#latitude
| in favor of 2003/01/geo/wgs84_pos#lat .

Can we move this up a level?

There are several properties in the vCard ontology that are
conceptually "the same as" some other properties from other
ontologies. Off the top of my head:

  http://www.w3.org/2006/vcard/ns#latitude
  http://www.w3.org/2006/vcard/ns#longitude
  http://www.w3.org/2006/vcard/ns#nickname
  http://www.w3.org/2006/vcard/ns#family-name
  http://www.w3.org/2006/vcard/ns#given-name
  http://www.w3.org/2006/vcard/ns#bday

It seems to me that we can/should/could either deprecate all of these
in favor of the properties from other namespaces or we could keep the
local aliases and make them (some flavor of) sameAs the other
properties.

I created aliases because I thought it made the ontology easier to
understand, but I can see both sides of this issue.

Any chance we can come to decision about this issue in general?

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman Walsh