Re: How much should RDF represent data ?

From: Adrian Walker <adrianw@snet.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 15:18:59 -0400
To: Andrea Splendiani <andrea.splendiani@unimib.it>
Cc: semantic-web@w3.org

Hi Andrea --

At 07:18 PM 6/15/2006 +0200, you wrote

>I'd like to hear some comment on the following issue:
>Where is the limit between information and meta-information in RDF ?
>
>RDF can be used  to describe "resources" and meta-information
>relating them, but at the same time it can be used to "encapsulate"
>all infromation and not only meta-information (sorry for my wording,
>I hope this is understeandable enough).
>
>Which do you think it's the most appropriate use ?
>
>When RDF is used to represent OWL, there is also some easy
>misunderstanding possible, since a piece of information represented
>in a file is intuitevely closed-world. But this is may not really be
>important....

One approach is to use RDF as triples of facts only, and to move everything
else to the "logic, proof and trust" part of the Semantic Web Layer
Cake.  Examples:

    www.reengineeringllc.com/demo_agents/RDFQueryLangComparison1.agent

     www.reengineeringllc.com/demo_agents/OwlTest1.agent

     http://www.reengineeringllc.com/demo_agents/RelBioOntDefn3.agent