Re: rdf-utils 0.2: support for diff and patch

not sure if the diff/patch functionality of rdf-utils was misunderstood,
it is of course independent of serialization idiosyncrasy (i.e.
independent of the order of statements and b-node labels). The advantage
of the concept of rdf-molecules[1] over the concept of minimum self
contained graph is that it takes (inverse) functional property into account.

for example, given the graph g1:

[ foaf:firstName "reto ".
  foaf:family_name "gmür".
  foaf:mbox "reto@gmuer.ch".]

and the graph g2:

[ foaf:firstName "reto ".
  foaf:family_name "bachmann-gmür".
  foaf:mbox "reto@gmuer.ch".]

without knowing that foaf:mbox is inverse-functional (-D false, as
command line option) the diff would look like this (this are "contextual
molecule" which is basically the same as a minimum self contained graph):

onlyIn1:
[ foaf:firstName "reto ".
  foaf:family_name "gmür".
  foaf:mbox "reto@gmuer.ch".]

onlyIn2:
[ foaf:firstName "reto ".
  foaf:family_name "bachmann-gmür".
  foaf:mbox "reto@gmuer.ch".]

with considering the ifp the diff is smaller (a bit smaller here but
potentially a lot smaller):
onlyIn1:
[ foaf:family_name "gmür".
  foaf:mbox "reto@gmuer.ch".]

onlyIn2:
[ foaf:family_name "bachmann-gmür".
  foaf:mbox "reto@gmuer.ch".]

If you look at a unzipped diff, you will notice that the inverse
functional statement is not directly contained in the contextual or
terminal molecules but instead a serialization of all statements
grounding a node is referenced. This allows a diff to compactly say
something like "there is a node grounded with "foaf:mbox 'reto@gmuer.ch'
and foaf:homepage 'http://gmuer.ch/'" in one graph and with 'foaf:mbox
'reto@gmuer.ch' and foaf:blog 'http://gmuer.ch/blog' in the other",
leaving alone all shared non-functional statements about this node (such
a functionally grounded node (fg-node), grounded by different statements
in the two model is called cross-graph-fg-node, often such a node
corresponds to one fg-node per graph, it may however also correspond to
multiple fg-nodes in one or in both graph, in the more seldom latter
case the original fg-nodes are referred in the molecules, this assures
that the diff can be used for patch and unpatch operations, this was
different in 0.1 [2], potentially leading to a loss of information).

reto

1. http://www.ksl.stanford.edu/people/pp/papers/Ding_ISWC_2005.pdf
2. http://wymiwyg.org/2005/12/23/loss-of-information-when