Re: In defence of 404 ...

On Monday 07 August 2006 16:26, Dan Connolly wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-08-07 at 16:59 +0200, Bernard Vatant wrote:
> > Dan
> >
> > > Ah... I misread your point. Indeed, in the general case,
> > > lots of documents may discuss the same resource, and none
> > > of them is authoritative. If DOC1#T1 and DOC2#T1 both
> > > refer to France, there is no web architecture mechanism
> > > for determining which is authoritative.
> >
> > OK. But I don't want to have DOC1#T1 *and* DOC2#T1 as two distinct URIs
> > defining France. I want one URI to define France.
>
> Do you have any serious expectation that you will get it? i.e.
> that you can somehow stop other parties from coining URIs that
> refer to France?

Actually YES. For things like countries, currencies, units, etc. I expect ISO
or the UN or W3C to define "The URI" that we all use. There's little point to
the "Semantic Web" at all if everyone just does whatever they want ignoring
everyone else so nothing is commonly understood. I do expect my Semantic Web
travel agents to know and agree on the the difference between Paris, Texas
and Paris, France.

Cheers,
David

--