Re: sentence in NLP to ontology query?

Dear Xavier, all,

 here follow a few pointers on the issue of querying a knowledge
base through natural language:

There has been a lot of early work on the issue (typically referred to
as Natural Language Interfaces) since the late 70s, especially in
the Computational Linguistics community. These early natural language
interfaces (NLIs) constituted a front-end to databases (even before
the relational model was actually born). The problem was certainly
that these interfaces were not portable. A very good overview of
this early research can be found in the following two surveys containing
a lot of pointers to related work. In particular, you
will also find there some pointers to menu-based frontends to
databases.

@Article{nli_intro,
    author = "I. Androutsopoulos and G.D. Ritchie and P. Thanisch",
    title = "Natural Language Interfaces to Databases--An introduction",
    journal = "Journal of Language Engineering",
    volume = "1",
    number = "1",
    pages = "29--81",
    year = "1995"
}

See here: http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/androutsopoulos95natural.html

and also:

@Article{nli_intro2,
    author = "A. Copestake and K. Sparck Jones",
    title = "Natural Language Interfaces to Databases",
    journal = "Knowledge Engineering Review",
    year = "1989",
    note = "Special Issue in the Applications of Natural Language
           Processing Techniques"
}

See here: http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~aac10/papers/ker.ps.gz

The main issues involved in building natural language interfaces are (i)
portability (to other domains) (ii) reliability, (iii) coverage and
(iv) intuitiveness.

Recent work addressing the reliability/coverage aspects can be found
for example in:

http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/amp/iui03.pdf

Old work addressing the portability can be found in:

@Article{team,
  author = 	 {B.J. Grosz and D.E. Appelt and P.A. Martin and F.C.N.
Pereira},
  title = 	 {TEAM: An Experiment in the Design of Transportable Natural
                  Language Interfaces},
  journal = 	 {Artificial Intelligence},
  year = 	 {1987},
  volume = 	 {32},
  pages = 	 {173-243}
}

@InCollection{rendezvous,
  author = 	 {E.F. Codd},
  title = 	 {Seven Steps to {RENDEZVOUS} with the Casual User},
  booktitle = 	 {Data Base Management},
  publisher =    {North-Holland publishers},
  year = 	 {1974},
  editor = 	 {J. Kimbie and K. Koffeman}
 }

@Article{ask,
  author = 	 {B.H. Thompson and F.B. Thompson},
  title = 	 {{ASK} is transportable in Half a Dozen Ways.},
  journal = 	 {ACM Transactions on Office Information Systems},
  year = 	 {1985},
  volume = 	 {3},
  number = 	 {2},
  pages = 	 {185--203},
}

A recent system using Semantic Web ontologies as backend is Aqualog:

http://kmi.open.ac.uk/projects/akt/aqualog/

Recent approaches using restricted language can be found here:

http://www.ifi.unizh.ch/ddis/staff/goehring/btw/files/BernsteinEtAl_ISWC2005.pdf

http://www.ifi.unizh.ch/attempto/

Finally, here are some specific workshops on the topic in the last two
years:

@Proceedings{qa_restricted_domains_04,
  title = 	 {ACL 2004 Workshop on Question Answering in Restricted
Domains },
  year = 	 {2004},
  editor = 	 {Diego Molla},
}

@Proceedings{qa_restricted_domains_05,
  title = 	 {AAAI 2005 Workshop on Question Answering in Restricted
Domains },
  year = 	 {2005},
  editor = 	 {Diego Molla},
}

@Proceedings{pragmatics_qa,
  title = 	 {HLT/NAACL Workshop on Pragmatics of Question Answering},
  year = 	 {2004},
  editor = 	 {???},
}

@Proceedings{taln_qa,
  title = 	 {TALN 2004 Question-Answering Workshop},
  year = 	 {2004},
  editor = 	 {???},
}

Last not least, some forthcoming journal issues on the topic:

@Proceedings{qa_journal1,
  title = 	 {Questions and Answers: Theoretical and Applied
Perspective},
  year = 	 {2005},
  booktitle =    {Special Issue of the Journal of Applied Logic},
  editor = 	 {R. Bernardi and B. Webber},
  note = 	 {forthcoming},
}

@Proceedings{qa_journal2,
  title = 	 {Question Answering in Restricted Domains},
  year = 	 {2005},
  booktitle =    {Special Issue of Computational Linguistics},
  editor = 	 {D. Molla and J.L Vicedo},
  note = 	 {forthcoming},
}

Of course, the above list is far from complete, but it's a start...

Best,

  Philipp.