Re: tagging, scope, sweeping statements

From: Stan James <sjames@uni-osnabrueck.de>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 00:27:34 +0200
To: Richard Newman <r.newman@reading.ac.uk>
CC: semantic-web@w3.org

I'm not sure I know precisely what you mean, but I'll weigh in anyway.

> 1. why would you want to indicate what the object of the bookmark was?
> Are you indicating that some are JPEGs, some are RDF, some are PDFs?
> This may inform your decision -- e.g. to use rdf:seeAlso in the case
> of RDF.

Sorry I didn't mention the application: My bookmark processor acts
recursively. So if I've bookmarked your bookmark page, then I can get
your bookmarks too. But it needs to know which items it should/could
recurse on.

> 2. you could make a subproperty of the bookmark property that you are
> using -- such as "pdfBookmark", "rssBookmark".

> 3. you could tag on some type property to the bookmarking, which is
> the approach you seem to be taking.

Yes, my other thought was to add a special "import_bookmark" tag, but
that runs the risk of users accidentally using the tag, and it seems odd
to use a tag as (effectively) a processing direction.

> I seem to recall solving a problem like this when drafting a
> bibliographic ontology, but grepping hasn't found my solution. I
> expect it lived for a while on my office whiteboard :D

Ah, my whiteboard keeps a lot of secrets too.

-stan