Re: tagging, scope, sweeping statements

From: Stan James <sjames@uni-osnabrueck.de>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 22:17:09 +0200
To: Richard Newman <r.newman@reading.ac.uk>
CC: semantic-web@w3.org

Richard,

>Though even a tag of "news" on cnn.com doesn't necessarily apply --- think
>of a page where you manage your user preferences on the CNN site. Would you
>tag that with "news"? Perhaps broadly, but it depends on the meaning of the
>tag. You'd certainly tag with "CNN", but definitely not with "headlines".

Yes, I was worried about that too. My best rationalization is that my
tags are on par with a librarian filing a Dostoevsky novel under
"Fiction", even though it has Forward and Author Biography sections that
are very much fact.  Since the scope of the tag is "book", you don't
mind if sub-bits don't fit the tag.

Your comment about not looking in URI's was a good point. I'm looking
into Phil Archer's "RDF Content Labels" as suggested by Benjamin.

...and if I can ask another newbie question (of the whole group)...

My del.icio.us-ish RDF sometimes includes bookmarks of other RSS files.
(Recursion!)  But how should I indicate that the target file is [a
similarly formatted] RDF file and not plain URL?  My quick 'n dirty
approach has been to use the dublin core "Type" element, eg:
<dc:type>myformat</dc:type>.  Is this appropriate?

Thanks for any feedback,

-stan