Re: SemWeb Non-Starter -- Distributed URI Discovery

From: Denny Vrandecic <dvr@aifb.uni-karlsruhe.de>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 09:24:58 +0100
To: Benjamin Nowack <bnowack@appmosphere.com>
Cc: Stephen Rhoads <rhoadsnyc@mac.com>, semantic-web@w3.org

Benjamin Nowack wrote:
 > On 22.03.2005 18:18:22, Stephen Rhoads wrote:
 >>So, with that settled, letís restate the problem:
 >>At present, there is no formal, generalized mechanism whereby a Web
 >>Agent, upon discovery of a URI, and lacking knowledge about that URI,
 >>can query the Originator of the URI in order to obtain an RDF
 >>description of the URI.
 > True, unfortunately. I was hoping the SWBPD WG (or DAWG) would address
 > this issue but I'm not sure if they're going to.

I think the problem is actually solved: there's rdfs:seeAlso and
rdfs:isDefinedBy, and well, just look up the URI there.

Connection to OWL:

So we have an solution that doesn't move out of the Ontology-space,
doesn't hassle around with HTTP protocols and works nicely, I guess.

Best regards,

(Sorry, Stephen, for writing this double to you)

Denny Vrandecic
Institute AIFB, University of Karlsruhe (TH)
Blog: http://semantic.nodix.net