Re: Handling plurals

From: Denny Vrandecic <dvr@aifb.uni-karlsruhe.de>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 13:53:33 +0100
Cc: semantic-web@w3.org

Danny Ayers wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 01:33:11 -0600, ben syverson <w3@likn.org> wrote:
>>What's a good or preferred way of defining something as a plural? ie,
>>how to graph:
>>"Person is a subclass of animal."
>>"People is the plural of person." or "People is two or more person."

> I would imagine that if you wanted to go deeper into the modelling it
> could get tricky fast. Don't know, but I expect there are quite a few
> papers around on the general subject. I wonder if you could say the
> class People subclass of Person but with property members
> cardinality>1..?

People a subclass of Person? That would mean that every instance of
"People" (for example the London Boy Choir) is also a Person.

Maybe it's a better way to define a GroupOfPersons or People, that has
the relationship member to the range Person. Here you may define the
property with cardinality>1 as you suggested.

denny

--
Denny Vrandecic
Institute AIFB, University of Karlsruhe (TH)