Re: RDF over Jabber?

On 6/14/05, Giovanni Tummarello <giovanni@wup.it> wrote:

> Hi Danny, one of the communication drivers that DBin has (www.dbin.org ,
> possibly coming out in a few days) to do P2P exchange of RDF is based on
> jabber.
> Our personal experience has been controversial. Although using smack as
> java API it was rather simple to have sync requests (like a URIQA
> requests) then there was a lot of wicking to do at jabber server level
> since there are plenty of any flood mechanism in place by default.

Ah, floods - right, snag.

> Once i had a configuration of the jabber server which didnt block some
> operation or the other.. i am afraid the resulting server is not that
> secure, it could probably be exploited to bother other servers for
> example. Not sure :-) not a jabber expert.

Ok, I get the picture (a little grim).

> Anyway, for this reason and also given i had the impression there was a
> lot of overhead, we switched to something else to do p2p exchange of
> RDF. Given that JXTA is the devil, and that i couldnt find an
> alternative (please somebody tell me of one!) we went ahead and brewed
> our own , Jasimpa (Java Simple Messaging Api)
> http://www.dbin.org/JaSiMPA/ (sorry page real ugly and unfinished) .
> Which is extraordinarely simple to use, it does firewall traversing
> (which was something we really want) but has design issues which pose
> limitations and that demand a few days/weeks of work,,

Heh, I guess that's one way of solving the problem. The only bit that
troubles me is "carries arbitrary Java objects", is there/might there
be a generic way to serialise/deserialise? - i.e. what about the
Python client?

> want to help? :-)

Heh heh. The reason I was asking about Jabber was that I've got some
old UI code that I was thinking about reusing as a kind of client for
structured data IM. As it happens the UI code is Java (+Jena), so
JaSiMPA might actually be a good way of bootstrapping it. Which would
be putting JaSiMPA through its paces at the same time. (In answer to
the question, that's a "mmm...maybe").

What's the best way of getting the code - sourceforge cvs?

Cheers,
Danny.

--

http://dannyayers.com