Re: where to look for specified inferences in OWL DL

From: Danny Ayers <danny.ayers@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 14:53:57 +0100
To: Xavier Noria <fxn@hashref.com>
Cc: Semantic Web <semantic-web@w3.org>

On 12/27/05, Xavier Noria <fxn@hashref.com> wrote:

> Say an OWL DL ontology has a schema with classes D, R, X, and a
> property P with domain D and range R. Now x1 and x2 are instances of
> X, and I wonder in which way the assertion P(x1, x2) would modify the
> model.

Hmm, well it would add that statement for a start...assuming we're
talking the model in logical terms (i.e. can add the inferred
statements), then I believe you'd also have:

rdf:type(x1, D)
rdf:type(x2, R)

This is from RDF schema, I believe it also would apply in OWL DL.

> A possible approach to figure that out would be to observe what
> generates some library like Jena, but where are those rules documented?

http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-mt/
http://www.w3.org/TR/owl-semantics/

Although I personally find the notation used in those docs hard work.
Jos de Roo has encoded the rules in n3:

http://www.agfa.com/w3c/euler/rdfs-rules.n3
http://www.agfa.com/w3c/euler/owl-rules.n3

Cheers,