Re: How will the semantic web emerge

From: Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 09:29:22 -0500
To: "John Flynn" <jflynn@bbn.com>
Cc: "'Asankhaya Sharma'" <asankhaya@yahoo.com>, semantic-web@w3.org

> There will undoubtedly be several different mechanisms that will eventually
> lead to the widespread use of the Semantic Web. I personally think the most
> important one will be for typical HTML web site developers to "mark up"
> selected content on their web sites (names, places and other facts) as
> instance data of classes and properties of remote ontologies.

In contrast, my suspicion is that the Semantic Web will grow mostly as
people chose to export their data instead of producing HTML at all.  I
could make a website on which I list the products I sell, or I could
just publish a database table in which I list my products -- and rely
on proxy semantic web browsers to make my catalog available to folks
not using their own RDF browsers.  (Of course, I'd also publish RDF
about my return policies, address, the purchase interface, etc.)

That is, once we get some decent software out there, for many tasks
using the Semantic Web will be easier for both authors and readers
than the HTML web.

   -- sandro