Re: completed action A-634-??: propose changes to "Evaluating Function Calls"

On 16-03-02 06:33 AM, Michael Kay wrote:

> (b) I'm unhappy that the data model gives special status to functions
> implemented in XQuery. It should be host language neutral.

The Data Model's definition of 'function' doesn't give any special status to
XQuery. Or even XQuery/XPath. It does make a distinction between an
implementation that's "a host language expression" vs one that's imp-dep.
But I can understand being unhappy with even just that distinction.

> I'm uncomfortable that when you write an XSLT stylesheet, a call on an
> XQuery function is defined more precisely in the function call semantics
> than a call on an XSLT function.

Well, it's reasonable that the XQuery spec would be more precise about the
semantics of calling an XQuery function. It's presumably *obliged* to be so.
But if you just mean that that precision should appear elsewhere than in the
section on function call semantics, that's fine.

On the whole, I'm more or less okay with all you're proposing, but it might
be tricky to get the details correct.

-Michael