Re: Done: ACTION A-641-14

On 16-06-27 02:38 PM, Robie, Jonathan wrote:
> On 6/26/16, 9:03 PM, "Michael Dyck" <jmdyck@ibiblio.org> wrote:
>
>> If we're going to say "X's associated expression" here, then "X" has to be
>> "the extension expression".
>
> Like this?
>
> An extension expression consists of one or more pragmas, followed by an
> optional expression (the extension expression's associated expression).

That's the implication, yes.

>> But personally, I think it sounds odd to refer
>> to a sub-expression of X as "X's associated expression" (because
>> "associated" is a weak and non-specific word for something that already
>> has a strong and fairly specific relation to X).
>
> I guess I¹m not convinced that the expression always provides fallback
> behavior.

I wasn't suggesting the word "fallback" that time (because you'd already
rejected it before).

> For instance, in this example, the expression is evaluated
> whether or not the pragma is recognized:

Okay, thanks, that's a good reason not to use the word "fallback". But
some other word might work, e.g. "base expression".

Or see my suggestion from about 6 hours ago, which you might like even better.

(BTW, why did you attach 4 identical copies of the XQuery spec?)

-Michael