Re: ACTION 614-12: Smart Quotes

On 2015-09-16 10:20, Josh Spiegel wrote:
> Even if it is XQuery only, is putting HTML in a smart quote a valid
> use case?

Yes.

Originally I chose strings based on analyzing a variety of languages,
including JavaScript, JSON, CSS.

Most delimiters that will work look silly with short examples, but that
really isnt' a problem in practice. A real-life example might be
anywhere from 4 lines to several thousand lines of CSS or JavaScript
(with HTML snippets embedded).

So the earlier proposal of something like  ~~$.... $~~ and ~~= ... =~~
works fine because it's fairly visible when you scroll quickly. I used
@{....@} I think, because they don't occur in those languages and
because the { and } let you use bracket matching in your editor.

>     <script type="text/javascript">/*<![CDATA[ ……. ]> */</script>
>
> The other occurrences were things like this:
>
>     <!--[if gt IE 8]>...

You will also find it in pure JavaScript, perniciously:

It can also occur in XQuery already outside of smart quote expressions,
as for that matter can <<< and >>>.

Liam

--
Liam Quin, W3C