RE: Guide to Versioning XML Languages using XML Schema 1.1

From: <paul.downey@bt.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 10:58:34 +0100
To: <petexmldev@tech-know-ware.com>, <public-xsd-databinding@w3.org>

> I haven't looked at the document yet, but as this is referencing XSD 1.1 and
> (I think) we are working with XSD 1.0

True

> I'm not sure how useful this document will be to us.

The document contains Schema patterns for versioning,
some of which may be applicable to XSD 1.0.

> I haven't looked into XSD 1.1 much yet either, but my
> understanding is that it relaxes some of the UPAC restraints with regard to
> wildcards, and this will make versioning much easier than with XSD 1.0.

That's true, but XSD 1.1 strives to be backwards compatible with 1.0.

Without preempting our review or how we use the document,
I could imagine databinding tools relaxing how XSD 1.0 is
used with advanced patterns following the direction set
for XSD 1.1, however I could be wrong.

Paul

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/WD-xmlschema-guide2versioning-20060928/
[2] http://www.w3.org/XML/2005/xsd-versioning-use-cases/