ISSUE-40: XML Schema document encoding

From: Databinding Issue Tracker <dean+cgi@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2006 11:25:24 +0000 (GMT)
To: public-xsd-databinding@w3.org

ISSUE-40: XML Schema document encoding

Raised by: Paul Downey
On product: Basic

XML, and therefore XML Schema 1.0 is fairly flexible in the
character sets and encodings, many of which are not supported
by toolkits or allowed by the WS-I Basic Profile.

For the Basic patterns document we specify:

1) An XML Schema MUST use either the UTF-8 or UTF-16 encoding.

2) An XML Schema document MAY begin with the Byte Order Mark (BOM)
   described by Annex H of [ISO/IEC 10646:2000], section 2.4
   of [Unicode], and section 2.7 of [Unicode3]
   (the ZERO WIDTH NO-BREAK SPACE character, #xFEFF).

3) An XML Schema document MUST use version 1.0 of the
   eXtensible Markup Language W3C Recommendation.