Re: XML Signature 1.1 KeyInfo requirements

On 7/1/11 10:28 AM, Frederick.Hirsch@nokia.com wrote:
> I have entered this into tracker as a comment,  LC-2502 (even though the
> document is in CR)
>
> http://www.w3.org/2006/02/lc-comments-tracker/42458/CR-xmldsig-core1-20110303/2502
>
>  Looking at this and Scott's mail, I propose the following changes to section
> 4.5 of XML Signature 1.1 [1]. Do we agree that these are the changes we
> want?
>
> (1) Change last sentence in section 4.5 paragraph 2 and add sentences, to
> read
>
> [[ While applications may define and use any mechanism they choose through
> inclusion of elements from a different namespace, compliant versions MUST
> implement KeyValue (section 4.5.2 The KeyValue Element) and SHOULD implement
> KeyInfoReference (section 4.5.10 The KeyInfoReference Element). The
> KeyInfoReference is preferred over use of RetrievalMethod as it avoids use of
> Transform child elements that introduce security risk and implementation
> challenges. Support for other children of KeyInfo is OPTIONAL. ]]

Looks fine. I initially was wondering what "MUST implement KeyValue" really
means. But then I noticed that this sentence in section 4.5.2 is pretty clear
about what that means:

"Structured formats for defining DSA (required), RSA (required) and ECDSA
(required) public keys are defined in section 6.4 Signature Algorithms."

--Sean