Re: Changes to 2.0 draft

From: <Frederick.Hirsch@nokia.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2011 00:26:25 +0100
To: <cantor.2@osu.edu>
CC: <Frederick.Hirsch@nokia.com>, <public-xmlsec@w3.org>
Comments inline.

On Jan 5, 2011, at 2:09 PM, ext Cantor, Scott E. wrote:

>> 1.  Add new section before Algorithms section for Content Selection and
>> Verification syntax and overview
>
> Maybe that belongs up in the section on the syntax and reference model? I know it was partly there to start with, but it's shorter now, and we moved the legacy stuff out.
>
> I'm just concerned about the confusion of multiple top level sections to explain the syntax.

Agree.

>> 8.1 The Selection Element
>> (contains original 8.6 and 8.6.1, without additional subsection)
>>
>> 8.1.1 The  Selection IncludedXPath Element
>> (from 8.6.5)
>
> I'm not sure how it flows to have the element definitions before the algorithm descriptions.

I think it can work in this case, since the element section for IncludedXPath etc is at a high level regarding functionality, gives the syntax and then should refer to the algorithm in the algorithms section (might need to add a forward reference).

However if we consider the algorithm section only for pluggable security algorithms (which was probably the original intent) then I think I agree with you. (As a thought experiment, if in 2.0 we were to move algorithms to a separate document, would we move the Byte Range selection algorithm out with that document (section 8.6.3)? I would say no.)

The net proposal is to simply move section 8.6 and 8.7 as is, under 4.4.3 (The Reference Element) Section, following 4.4.3.3 .

Is this what you are thinking?