RE: Canonical XML 2.0 Conformance Profiles

We are treading a fine line here.  If we mark too many features as MUST implement, we won't get many implementations, on the other hand if we have too many OPTIONAL features nobody will implement them and they will fall into the sidelines.

It is useful to have a profile which has only C14N 1.x features. This can be very easily implemented by existing libraries, they just have to recognize the new syntax.

Pratik

From: Meiko Jensen [mailto:Meiko.Jensen@ruhr-uni-bochum.de]
Sent: Friday, September 03, 2010 1:26 AM
To: Frederick.Hirsch@nokia.com
Cc: public-xmlsec@w3.org
Subject: Re: Canonical XML 2.0 Conformance Profiles

HYPERLINK "mailto:Frederick.Hirsch@nokia.com"Frederick.Hirsch@nokia.com schrieb:

To repeat what I think you said, Does this mean there are really two conformance levels?

1. Support C14N2 with defaults as listed for all parameters. All other parameters not at default settings are optional.

2. Also support ExclusiveMode, InclusiveNamespace, IgnoreComments and XmlAncestors parameters with values other then defaults.

I'm saying that, yes, you could read the spec document both ways. By now, the spec says (in 2.2.1) "Implementations may not support all of these parameters. We have identified the following profiles.", but it does not explicitly say how these profiles relate to conformance (i.e. whether all of these profiles have to be supported, at least one of them, or none of them...). I also remember Pratik saying that implementers were allowed to decide upon which profiles they support, meaning them to be optional.

Besides that I'd also like to point to the fact that both definitions of conformance imply that all our new parameters (such as TrimTextNodes, prefixRewriting etc.) are optional to implement. Hence, the difference between C14N1.X and C14N2.0 turns out to merely be suggesting a list of optional-to-implement, optional-to-use new params, and to require backward compatibility. I have to admit that I'm not really satisfied with this, since---to me---those new parameters are very useful in practice, but if they remain optional, this means that you can never rely on that your signature peer (i.e. in most cases the verifier) supports the same set of XML Signatures as you do. We're fuzzying the feature list of the XML Signature spec bundle here, and frankly, I'm not sure this is a good approach for a soon-to-be standard document.

just my $.02

cheers

Meiko