RE: Action-539: review C14N2.0

From: Scott Cantor <cantor.2@osu.edu>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 11:57:31 -0400
To: "'Karel Wouters'" <karel.wouters@esat.kuleuven.be>, "'XMLSec WG Public List'" <public-xmlsec@w3.org>
> 1) when an XML signature is embedded in a XML document that includes
> xml:space=preserve in the root element, will that break the signature if
> trimTextNode=true, supposing some trimming was performed?
> If so, is this desirable behaviour?

If the intent is to honor xml:space, it has to be inherited as defined by
the XML spec, I think. So it would apply down below and would prevent
trimming.

> 2) Why was this feature - trimTextNode - introduced in the first place?

Many of not most of the people who try to use XML Signature screw it up by
pretty printing documents or believing that whitespace isn't significant.

> If a party, producing XML, includes some whitespace in a textnode,
> should C14N just discard it, because it decides that this whitespace
> must be meaningless?

It doesn't do that unless the option is enabled, in which case the signer
knows it's meaningless, right?