RE: Agenda: Distributed Meeting 2009-10-06

From: Scott Cantor <cantor.2@osu.edu>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2009 23:36:07 -0400
To: "'Frederick Hirsch'" <frederick.hirsch@nokia.com>, "'XMLSec WG Public List'" <public-xmlsec@w3.org>
Regrets from me again, I'm at a conference this week. I saw one item I
wanted to comment on...

Frederick Hirsch wrote on 2009-10-02:
> 5b) XML Signature 1.1
>
> ISSUE-142
> How to schema validate with 1.0 schema plus 1.1 schema, when a
> validator requires a single schema file (Ed)

That isn't a correctly implemented validator. XSD generally binds a schema
document to a single target namespace (ignoring chameleon schemas), so by
definition any time there are multiple namespaces in a document, you'll have
multiple XSD instances.

(It's certainly true that the most broken aspect of most parsers/validators
is their mechanism for acquiring schemas, but it's a requirement of all
implementations to do so safely somehow.)