W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-xmlsec@w3.org > September 2008

Agenda: Distributed meeting 2008-09-23 v2

From: Frederick Hirsch <frederick.hirsch@nokia.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 18:16:49 -0400
Message-Id: <7C19B6F8-78D9-4379-9592-1CBC74144795@nokia.com>
To: XMLSec WG Public List <public-xmlsec@w3.org>
Cc: Frederick Hirsch <frederick.hirsch@nokia.com>

Agenda: W3C XML Security WG (XMLSec) v2
Teleconference 23 September  2008
Distributed Meeting #8

v2 changed time for XProc discussion to start of meeting, update  
agenda for Best Practices decisions, added Last Call Widgets  
Requirements, update for requirements/issues items

10-12:00 am Eastern Time
Information on meeting times in various time zones:
http://www.w3.org/2008/xmlsec/Group/Overview.html#phone

Zakim Bridge:
     +1.617.761.6200 conference code 965732# ('XMLSEC')
IRC Chat:
   irc.w3.org (port 6665), #xmlsec
Web-based IRC (member-only):
   <http://cgi.w3.org/member-bin/irc/irc.cgi>

Please note that attendance of XMLSEC WG teleconferences is restricted  
to registered WG participants and persons invited by the chair.

Chair: Frederick Hirsch

Regrets: see upcoming meetings
http://www.w3.org/2008/xmlsec/Group/Overview.html#upcoming-meetings

1) Administrivia: scribe confirmation, next meeting, other

1a)  Rob Miller is scheduled to scribe

The current scribe list is at the end of this message, will rotate  
through this list.

  Scribe Instructions:
  http://www.w3.org/2007/xmlsec/Group/Scribe-Instructions.html

1b)   Meeting planning: weekly meetings

This WG meets weekly on Tuesdays 10-12 Eastern unless a meeting is  
cancelled.

Upcoming meeting information is available on the WG Administrative page:
http://www.w3.org/2008/xmlsec/Group/Overview.html#upcoming-meetings

30 September 2008 Teleconference cancelled.
Next meeting 7 October.  Gerald Edgar  is scheduled to scribe.
14 October 2008 Teleconference cancelled,
20-21 October 2008 F2F at TPAC.

2) XProc discussion with Norm Walsh

http://www.w3.org/2008/09/02-xmlsec-minutes.html#item03

3) Minutes Approval

3a)  Minutes from 16 September 2008  for approval:

Revised
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-xmlsec/2008Sep/0030.html

Additional discussion (should not impact approval of minutes)
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-xmlsec/2008Sep/0032.html

4) Liaisons and Coordination

See status at members page
http://www.w3.org/2008/xmlsec/Group/Overview.html#coordination

4a) TPAC F2F Scheduling

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-xmlsec/2008Sep/0004.html

Tentative:
XForms -  10:30 - noon (tentative) Monday 20 October
EXI - 2-3:30 Monday 20 October (note correction, 1 1/2 hours)
WebApps - 11-12 Tuesday 21 October

4b) WS-Policy

XML Signature Second Edition proposed errata to be handled by email on  
WS-Policy list
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ws-policy/2008Sep/0001.html

4c) OASIS WS-SX

New issue accepted to add Second Edition reference
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/ws-sx/email/archives/200809/msg00014.html

Incorrect algorithm URI for C14N10, issue under consideration
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/ws-sx/email/archives/200809/msg00019.html

4d) WebApps Widgets 1.0 Requirements Last Call
"On September 19, the Web Apps WG published Last Call Working Draft #2  
of the "Widgets 1.0: Requirements" spec: <http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-widgets-reqs-20080915/ 
 > If you have any comments, please send them to the public- webapps@w3.org 
  mail list (archive at [1]) by October 13 at the latest)
[1] <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/>"
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xmlsec/2008Sep/0049.html
5) Best Practices - Actions before publication as working draft

Next steps:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xmlsec/2008Sep/0043.html

5a) Resolution to accept Status/Abstract and incorporate into draft  
(proposal from Thomas)

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xmlsec/2008Sep/0040.html

5b) Proposed revision for section 2.1, Best Practice 2 (Scott,  
ACTION-56)

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xmlsec/2008Sep/0044.html  
(Scott)

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xmlsec/2008Sep/0045.html  
(Sean)
suggest moving practice later in document.

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xmlsec/2008Sep/0060.html  
(Frederick)

5c) Draft review Section 1, section 2.1.4 (Sean)

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xmlsec/2008Sep/0046.html  
(Sean)

Remove 2nd paragraph in section 1 as redundant
2.1.4, 4th paragraph, last sentence, define or remove "web bug"

Additional comment  (Frederick)
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xmlsec/2008Sep/0055.html

5d) Draft review -  section 2.1.2 (Best Practice 5) (Sean)

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xmlsec/2008Sep/0050.html  
(Sean)

Note more advanced implementations might not be vulnerable to all  
attacks
Change all examples in document to use absolute namespace URIs, not  
relative

Proposal (Frederick)
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xmlsec/2008Sep/0056.html

URIs for example documents. Do instances in Best practices doc itself?
Do we want to retain links in document to example files?

5e) RetrievalMethod attack, section 2.1.3

Sean: Reality of attack in 2.1.3?
  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xmlsec/2008Sep/0051.html

Pratik: Meaning of RetrievalMethod for KeyInfo not clear?
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xmlsec/2008Sep/0053.html

Sean: Clarification
Meaning of RetrievalMethod for KeyInfo not clear?

Pratik: continued relevance of attack
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xmlsec/2008Sep/0059.html

Question #1: proposed changes to 2.1.3?

Question #2: Action to propose clarification (proposed errata) for  
Signature to clarify target of RetrievalMethod?

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xmlsec/2008Sep/0042.html  
(Scott)

5f) Add synopsis for each Best Practice
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xmlsec/2008Sep/0057.html

5g) Misc editorial
Add change log item to reflect Brad's edits.

Consistent use of C14N11 capitalization
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xmlsec/2008Sep/0058.html

5h) Completion of implementer review actions?
See actions 57-64. http://www.w3.org/2008/xmlsec/track/products/11

6)  Use Cases and Requirements

http://www.w3.org/2008/xmlsec/Drafts/xmlsec-reqs/Overview.html

6a) Agree to add Web Services Security material, action to craft text  
for document?

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xmlsec/2008Sep/0036.html

6b) Requirements logged in issues list

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xmlsec/2008Sep/0052.html  
(Gerald)

Proposal, close in issues list, assign actions to craft proposals on  
public list, then agree to add to requirements document.

7) Issues list

Procedure for creating issues: http://www.w3.org/2008/xmlsec/Group/Overview.html#issues

7a) Resolution to use tracker for issues.

7b) New issues
[OPEN] ISSUE-53 Practice summaries: Add short summary for each best  
practice [on Best Practices for XML Signature]
http://www.w3.org/2008/xmlsec/track/issues/53


[OPEN] ISSUE-54 C14N usage: Use consistent spelling of C14N11 [on Best  
Practices for XML Signature]
http://www.w3.org/2008/xmlsec/track/issues/54


7c) Issues list review

8) Completed Actions Pending Review

These actions have been completed (marked as pending review by owner  
of action) and may be closed if WG agrees.

Actions pending review are listed in Tracker at http://www.w3.org/2008/xmlsec/track/actions/pendingreview

Unless there is any objection, the following actions will be closed at  
this meeting.

[pending review] ACTION-27: Robert Miller to contact crypto hardware  
and suiteB experts in NSA regarding XML Security WG and possible  
involvement - due 2008-08-19 [on WG-Coordination]
http://www.w3.org/2008/xmlsec/track/actions/27

[pending review] ACTION-31: Thomas Roessler to Investigate ebXML  
liaison (see ACTION-6) - due 2008-08-18 [on WG-Coordination]
http://www.w3.org/2008/xmlsec/track/actions/31

[pending review] ACTION-39: Hal Lockhart to Contribute web service  
related scenario - due 2008-08-24 [on Rqmts (XML Signature and  
Canonicalization V Next Requirements)]
http://www.w3.org/2008/xmlsec/track/actions/39

[pending review] ACTION-42: Thomas Roessler to Elaborate on "any  
document" requirement vs canonicalizing xml:base - due 2008-08-26 [on  
Rqmts (XML Signature and Canonicalization V Next Requirements)]
http://www.w3.org/2008/xmlsec/track/actions/42

[pending review] ACTION-47: Thomas Roessler to Add error noted in http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xmlsec-maintwg/2008Jun/0021.html 
  to c14n 1.1 errata page - due 2008-09-01 [on Errata-C14N]
http://www.w3.org/2008/xmlsec/track/actions/47

[pending review] ACTION-66: Frederick Hirsch to Follow up with xsl to  
get documents related to serialization - due 2008-09-23 [on WG- 
Coordination]
http://www.w3.org/2008/xmlsec/track/actions/66
keep open until response received.

9) Open Action item review

Open actions are listed in Tracker at http://www.w3.org/2008/xmlsec/track/actions/open

Procedure for closing actions: http://www.w3.org/2007/xmlsec/Group/Overview.html#closing-actions

Please review open action list and update your actions appropriately:

http://www.w3.org/2008/xmlsec/actions-open.html


10) Adjourn

Scribing  list
----------------

Gerald Edgar, Boeing ()
Robert Miller, MITRE ()
Shivaram Mysore, Invited Expert ()
Magnus Nyström, EMC ()
Leonard Rosenthol, Adobe ()
Anil Saldhana, Red Hat ()
Ed Simon, Invited Expert ()
John Wray, IBM ()
Kelvin Yiu, Microsoft ()
Konrad Lanz, IAIK (16 July F2F am)
Hal Lockhart, Oracle (16 July F2F pm)
Bruce Rich, IBM (17 July F2F am)
Chris Solc, Adobe (17 July F2F pm)
Scott Cantor, invited expert (29 July 2008)
Sean Mullan, Sun (12 August 2008)
Pratik Datta, Oracle (19 August 2008)
Subramanian Chidambaram, Nokia (26 August)
Brian LaMacchia, Microsoft (2 September 2008)
Bradley Hill, Invited Expert (9 September 2008)
Juan Carlos Cruellas, Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya (16  
September 2008)

regards, Frederick

Frederick Hirsch, Nokia
Chair XML Security WG
Received on Monday, 22 September 2008 22:18:01 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Monday, 7 December 2009 10:43:54 GMT