RE: Some strawman ideas for a minimum DSig profile

From: Scott Cantor <cantor.2@osu.edu>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 14:28:24 -0400
To: "'Frederick Hirsch'" <frederick.hirsch@nokia.com>, "'ext Kelvin Yiu'" <kelviny@exchange.microsoft.com>
Cc: <public-xmlsec@w3.org>

> This could be accomplished generically using an attribute in the xml
> namespace, e.g. xml:hash="algorithm", and this could be ignored by
> older implementations.

I wanted to note for the record, since it came up on the call on July 29th
that I confirmed that attributes in the xml namespace are in fact not
handled specially by XSD. If you want to permit them, the schema has to say
so, so you don't get a free schema lunch by using them retroactively.

Attributes in the xsi namespace are different, but they generally affect
schema processing, of course, and would break older processors just as
easily.

I think the key issue here is that compatibility is really hard, and if you
can find substantial use cases that don't require it, that may be profoundly
important.