Re: Some strawman ideas for a minimum DSig profile

Kelvin,Brian, all:

Thanks for sharing this proposal.

Looking at it raises a few fundamental questions and some
brainstorming thoughts:

1. Does the use of Processing Instructions lead us away from treating
the XML Signature as a first class object?

2. Will existing implementations really operate without error upon
encountering an unexpected processing instruction?

3. What if we took a similar approach using an XML syntax, and re-
ordering the XML Signature XML structure a bit to accomplish the same
objectives?

It appears that this would not be an issue with new implementations
but would with existing implementations. On the other hand

a. I think we are going to have to address versioning explicitly at
some point

b. we might be able to achieve  backwards compatibility even with re-
ordered and new XML  by defining an XSLT transform to  re-order as
needed

4. It might be an issue to rely on placement of a PI (or an XML
element) immediately before an XML element to indicate the need for
hashing. It might be better for the element itself to communicate
this, to avoid potential errors or attacks if content is added
between the elements (e.g. in a workflow).

This could be accomplished generically using an attribute in the xml
namespace, e.g. xml:hash="algorithm", and this could be ignored by
older implementations. I'm not sure a reference to the ds:Reference
is required at that point since an implementation could store the
hash indexed by the id of the hashed element. This might also be
simpler. This would also work if we did not reorder the XML Signature
structure.

I've attached two examples, just as quick items to enable more
discussion.

[not sent as chair but as participant]