W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-xmlsec-maintwg@w3.org > July 2007

Agenda: Distributed meeting 2007-07-17

From: ext Frederick Hirsch <frederick.hirsch@nokia.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 17:46:15 -0400
Message-Id: <8046EF7F-2891-4CD5-A9AC-5B5E9B2DC7DC@nokia.com>
Cc: Hirsch Frederick <frederick.hirsch@nokia.com>
To: XMLSec <public-xmlsec-maintwg@w3.org>

Agenda: W3C XML Security Specifications Maintenance WG (XMLSec)
Teleconference 17 July 2007
Distributed Meeting #10

9-10am Eastern Time
(6-7am Pacific, 1400-1500 Dublin, 1500-1600 CET, 1600-1700 Crete)

See <http://www.w3.org/2007/xmlsec/Group/Overview.html> for time in  
other time zones.

Zakim Bridge:
       +1.617.761.6200 conference code 965732# ('XMLSEC')
IRC Chat:
     irc.w3.org (port 6665), #xmlsec
Web-based IRC (member-only):
     <http://cgi.w3.org/member-bin/irc/irc.cgi>

Please note that attendance of XMLSEC WG telecons is restricted to  
registered WG participants and persons invited by the chair.

Chair:
    Frederick Hirsch

Regrets:
    none

1) Administrivia: scribe confirmation, next meeting, other

1a)  Thomas Roessler is scheduled to scribe.

The current scribe list is at the end of this message.

    Scribe Instructions:
    http://www.w3.org/2007/xmlsec/Group/Scribe-Instructions.html

1b)   Meeting planning

July 24 meeting has been canceled.
Next meeting: Tuesday 31 July. Scribe: Tony Nadalin

1c) Workshop, please solicit position papers

Announcement: http://www.w3.org/2007/xmlsec/ws/
CFP: http://www.w3.org/2007/xmlsec/ws/cfp.html

1d) Interop Questionnaire

8 Attendees, 2 implementations as of 30 June questionnaire.

We have opened the questionnaire through 30 July, please respond  
before 17 July so WG can plan based on results.

Please respond now to:  http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/40279/interop- 
sched/

2) Review and approval of last meeting's minutes
    http://www.w3.org/2007/07/10-xmlsec-minutes

3) Action item review

    Open actions are listed in Tracker at http://www.w3.org/2007/ 
xmlsec/Group/track/actions/open

Procedure for closing actions: http://www.w3.org/2007/xmlsec/Group/ 
Overview.html#closing-actions

ACTION-26 draft CG note draft for submission to XML CG, Thomas  
Roessler, 2007-07-31

ACTION-50 Create workshop logistics page, Phillip Hallam-Baker,  
2007-06-19

ACTION-53 Work toward publication of xmlenc-decrypt11 as Last Call  
WD, Thomas Roessler, 2007-06-26

ACTION-56 Give Juan Carlos, Sean, Konrad access to interop web space  
in CVS, Thomas Roessler, 2007-07-03

ACTION-58 Create test re rfc 2253 vs rfc 4514 implementations, Sean  
Mullan, 2007-07-03

ACTION-61, Contact Aleksey Sanin about interop and attendance,  
Frederick Hirsch, 2007-07-17

Done see http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-xmlsec-maintwg/ 
2007Jul/0004.html

ACTION-62 Send email describing examples to clarify testing issues,  
Juan Carlos Cruellas 2007-07-17

ACTION-63, Write up process outline for interop, Frederick Hirsch,  
2007-07-17


4) XML Signature Draft - confirm status of previous discussion items

4a) XML escaping

Angle brackets, ampersand, can cause XML to be ill-formed.

Konrad: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xmlsec-maintwg/ 
2007May/0041.html

Thomas: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xmlsec-maintwg/ 
2007May/0048.html

Proposed Resolution: Agree to close this issue with no change?

4b) encoding leading space, forgotten? Or remove requirement to  
escape trailing space?

Konrad: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xmlsec-maintwg/ 
2007Jun/0004.html

Need to add to bullet list in section 4.4.4. (see agenda item 7a)?

or get rid of item for trailing space, which should be insignificant?
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xmlsec-maintwg/2007Jun/ 
0051.html Konrad

Proposed Resolution: Agree to defer to subsequent work on Signature?

4c) Add warning?

warning similar to that of section 7.2 of RFC 2253: http:// 
www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2253.txt
Sean: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xmlsec-maintwg/ 
2007Jun/0015.html

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xmlsec-maintwg/2007Jun/ 
0024.html

Proposed resolution: Record as best practice item in wiki?

4d) Reversibility of string to DER/BER encoding not guaranteed

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xmlsec-maintwg/2007Jun/ 
0021.html , Juan Carlos

Issue of reversibility

section 5.2 http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4514

and proposed approach:
"state a repertoire of attribute short names that all applications  
must know and then strongly
recommend to use the form "dotted oid of the attribute = hex  
representation of the BER/DER encoding of the value" for the rest of  
not so well-known or even privately defined attributes"

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xmlsec-maintwg/2007Jun/ 
0049.html , Ed Simon
"I agree that XMLSig DName encoding rules should address the last  
paragraph of Section 5.2 in RFC 4514:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4514"

Second point about removing KeyInfo material from DSig out of scope  
for charter and for roadmap?
Update wiki?

Ask IETF for DName canonicalization, drop issue?
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xmlsec-maintwg/2007Jun/ 
0052.html , Konrad

Proposed Resolution: Record as issue for next version of Signature  
and/or add note to best practice wiki

5) XML Signature: ds:Reference type as URI versus ds:Object Mime Type
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xmlsec-maintwg/2007Jun/ 
0000.html , Juan-Carlos

see http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xmlsec-maintwg/2007Jul/ 
0005.html

6)  Interop Test Cases

6a) Please review draft from Juan Carlos and send comments/discussion  
to public email list:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xmlsec-maintwg/2007Jul/ 
0001.html

6b) test defined in new C14N11 example (as updated)
http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/2007/05/CR-xml-c14n11-20070509

6c) Tests for Errata
Agreed at F2F that no tests needed for E02-E05
Test for E01?

6d)  Additional tests discussed at F2F
-  test case for 1.0 as default see if 1.1 by mistake
- test case which checks for correct sig when xml:base is present
- test case which checks for correct sig when xml:id is present
- generate sig over doc subset, must include c14n11 as  final transform
- new generators not rely on default c14n
- conversion NodeSetData to OctetStreamData:
- Generate a signature having a reference with some xpath transform  
selecting NodeSetData
then we add a XSLT transform that clearly needs OctetStreamData.  
Check on verification: if the resulting signature actually made the  
use of c14n 1.1 explicit in the chain of transforms

7) C14N11 - Appendix A

Konrad had pointed out some issues with Appendix A at
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2007May/0046

Appendix update: Konrad
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xmlsec-maintwg/2007Jun/ 
0073.html

includes changes from Juan Carlos.

Review actions:

ACTION-36 Juan Carlos Cruellas,
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xmlsec-maintwg/2007Jun/ 
0029.html
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xmlsec-maintwg/2007Jun/ 
0041.html
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xmlsec-maintwg/2007Jun/ 
0035.html

ACTION-37 Sean Mullen, closed with:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xmlsec-maintwg/2007Jun/ 
0065.html

Appendix update: Konrad
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xmlsec-maintwg/2007Jun/ 
0073.html

8) Any other business

9) Adjourn

Scribe list
-----------

Elisabetta Carrara
Ram Mohan
Anthony Nadalin
Chris Nautiyal
Rich Salz
Daniel Schutzer
Andrew Sullivan
Panagiotis Trimintzios
Tarun Tyagi
Thomas Roessler (17 Apr 07)
Greg Whitehead (F2F 2 May 07 am)
Rob Miller  (F2F 2 May 07 pm)
Gregory Berezowsky (F2F 3 May 07 am)
Sean Mullan (F2F 3 May 07 pm)
Juan Carlos Cruellas (15 May 2007)
Phillip Hallam-Baker (22 May 2007)
Giles Hogben  (29 May 2007)
Konrad Lanz (6 June 2007)
Donald Eastlake (12 June 2007)
Peter Lipp (Konrad, 19 June 2007)
Ed Simon (26 June 2007)
Hal Lockhart (10 July 2007)
Received on Tuesday, 10 July 2007 21:46:32 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Tuesday, 8 January 2008 14:22:00 GMT