RE: use cases

From: Rushforth, Peter <Peter.Rushforth@NRCan-RNCan.gc.ca>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2012 01:20:16 +0000
To: "liam@w3.org" <liam@w3.org>
CC: "public-xmlhypermedia@w3.org" <public-xmlhypermedia@w3.org>
Hi Liam,

>> In the standard xml namespace model (and
>> the XDM model used by XSLT/XPath/Xquery) you can have have unprefixed
>> element names in a namespace, but you can not have unprefixed attribute
>> names in a namespace.

>If you implemented unobtrusive namespaces (as I described them in
>Montreal) e.g. with XSLT, you'd add prefixes to the attributes.

>It's a way to say "in this context, this name should be associated with
>this namespace."

So are you saying for example, that when one applies a transformation that seeks to map the autonamespaced
elements to a prefix:localname you would need to end up with the attributes in the same namespace as their ancestor elements?

transformed with an autonamespaced source document which contained an svg element would end up with all the attributes of child elements of the <svg> elements in the "http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" namespace?

I missed that, if that's the case.  But nothing that could not be solved with some more markup magic, I imagine, especially if combined with hypermedia vowels :-).  In any case, the use case example is about the utility of the hypermedia vowels when applied to the automatic namespace concept, not the automatic namespace concept itself.  I will try to make that more clear on the wiki too.