RE: use cases

From: Rushforth, Peter <Peter.Rushforth@NRCan-RNCan.gc.ca>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2012 01:20:16 +0000
To: "liam@w3.org" <liam@w3.org>
CC: "public-xmlhypermedia@w3.org" <public-xmlhypermedia@w3.org>
Hi Liam,

>> In the standard xml namespace model (and
>> the XDM model used by XSLT/XPath/Xquery) you can have have unprefixed
>> element names in a namespace, but you can not have unprefixed attribute
>> names in a namespace.

>If you implemented unobtrusive namespaces (as I described them in
>Montreal) e.g. with XSLT, you'd add prefixes to the attributes.

>It's a way to say "in this context, this name should be associated with
>this namespace."

So are you saying for example, that when one applies a transformation that seeks to map the autonamespaced
elements to a prefix:localname you would need to end up with the attributes in the same namespace as their ancestor elements?

ie.

<ns>
  <element>
    <name>svg</name>
    <uri>http://www.w3.org/2000/svg</uri>
  </element>
</ns>

transformed with an autonamespaced source document which contained an svg element would end up with all the attributes of child elements of the <svg> elements in the "http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" namespace?

I missed that, if that's the case.  But nothing that could not be solved with some more markup magic, I imagine, especially if combined with hypermedia vowels :-).  In any case, the use case example is about the utility of the hypermedia vowels when applied to the automatic namespace concept, not the automatic namespace concept itself.  I will try to make that more clear on the wiki too.

Thanks,
Peter