Re: use cases

From: Liam R E Quin <liam@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 15:56:53 -0400
To: David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk>
Cc: public-xmlhypermedia@w3.org
On Mon, 2012-08-20 at 11:31 +0100, David Carlisle wrote:

> In the standard xml namespace model (and
> the XDM model used by XSLT/XPath/Xquery) you can have have unprefixed
> element names in a namespace, but you can not have unprefixed attribute
> names in a namespace.

If you implemented unobtrusive namespaces (as I described them in
Montreal) e.g. with XSLT, you'd add prefixes to the attributes.

It's a way to say "in this context, this name should be associated with
this namespace."

My proposal does not handle conflicts -- in XML you'd have to use
explicit namespaces in that case, and microxml wouldn't support the
idea, I expect.

Liam