From: Liam R E Quin [liam@w3.org]
Sent: August 19, 2012 12:29 PM
To: David Carlisle
Cc: public-xmlhypermedia@w3.org
Subject: Re: use cases

On Sun, 2012-08-19 at 11:49 +0100, David Carlisle wrote:
> On 19/08/2012 11:27, Rushforth, Peter wrote:
[...]
> I must be missing something because I don't understand this at all.
> If a system can be configured to understand
>
> rel="ns" href="http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace"
>
> Then it could be configured to understand href attributes generally, so
> presumably it could be similarly configured to understand any other
> hypertext related attributes such as src, it wouldn't really need the
> namespace mechanism would it?

The "automatic" part of my proposal was really intended to address the
HTML distributed extensibility in an environment in which too many
people had developed an xml-colon allergy. So I wrote it in such a way
that no colons were needed anywhere. However, it'd be pretty easy to
process the namespace definition file with XSLT and produce XML
documents marked up with prefixes.

> In your automatic namespace document you appear to be assigning
> namespaces to uprefixed attributes so this would mean the
> documents were not expressible in xml 1.0 + Namesapces. That isn't
> necessarily bad but it ought to be highlighted if it is true.

I'm providing a mechanism by which unprefixed attributes in the XML
input would be recognised as belonging to a different namespace and
moved automatically, rather like an HTML Web user agent moving a "math"
element into the MathML namespace (although I think in the end they
decided to take the Borgian approach and incorporate everything into
HTML, but that was still in question when I was first working on this).

You would in general get a different data model parsing an XML document
with an Unobtrusive Namespace Processor and a regular XML processor.

Liam

Co-author, "Head-First Namespaces", ORA, April 1st 2014