W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-xml-processing-model-wg@w3.org > June 2012

XProc Minutes 28 June 2012

From: Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2012 10:27:05 -0500
To: public-xml-processing-model-wg@w3.org
Message-ID: <m2lij7ihiu.fsf@nwalsh.com>
See http://www.w3.orL/XProc/2012/06/28-minutes

[1]W3C

                                   - DRAFT -

                            XML Processing Model WG

Meeting 217, 28 Jun 2012

   [2]Agenda

   See also: [3]IRC log

Attendees

   Present
           Vojtech, Cornelia, Norm, Murray, Alex

   Regrets
           Jim, Mohamed

   Chair
           Norm

   Scribe
           Norm

Contents

     * [4]Topics

         1. [5]Accept this agenda?
         2. [6]Accept minutes from the previous meeting?
         3. [7]Next meeting: telcon, 12 July 2012 (skip 5 July)
         4. [8]Review of open action items
         5. [9]Review of V.next requirements and use cases
         6. [10]Any other business?

     * [11]Summary of Action Items

   --------------------------------------------------------------------------

  Accept this agenda?

   -> [12]http://www.w3.org/XML/XProc/2012/06/28-agenda

   Accepted.

  Accept minutes from the previous meeting?

   -> [13]http://www.w3.org/XML/XProc/2012/05/31-minutes

   Accepted.

  Next meeting: telcon, 16 August 2012

   After some discussion, see below, the WG decided to take a summer break.
   Henry gives regrets for 16 August.

  Review of open action items

   <scribe> No progress. Much wailing and tears reported.

  Review of V.next requirements and use cases

   Norm: Anyone have any high-level thoughts on how to improve progess?

   Murray: We've got a holiday in the US next week, and folks preparing for
   Balisage in August...summer is slow.

   Cornelia: Yes, summer is slow.

   Norm: Should we take the month of July off?

   Cornelia: I think we should take a month off, because we're going to end
   up taking some time off anyway.
   ... I'm going to read the req doc top-to-bottom, are there any other
   homework assignments we could be doing?

   Norm: Well, I've got some big proposals and we should all read the
   document.

   Some discussion of dates; restarting on 2 August bumps us up against
   Balisage, let's just skip over that too.

   Proposal: We'll take July off to recharge our batteries. Next meeting: 16
   August.

   Accepted.

   Norm: Take it away, Murray

   Murray: I pulled in a bunch of possible specs and now I think we should
   eliminate the ones we're really not going to do.
   ... So, XPointer and XLink can go.
   ... We can do MathML

   Norm: What would a MathML step do?

   Murray: Convert MathML to presentation or results.

   Alex: Converting MathML into an image for example.

   Murray: XForms? No.
   ... EXI would seem to be relevant. We might want to accept EXI as inputs.

   Norm: Yes, I think so.

   Murray: So I'm going to leave it in.
   ... I thought we might have some sort of special HTML processing step.

   Norm: I think we might want to leave HTML5 in there, because we're going
   to talk about HTML5 coming in on steps like p:http-request.

   Alex: There's definitely a difference between cleanup and parsing using
   the HTML5 rules.

   Norm: I think HTML5 should stay, I'd e inclined to pull the others but I
   don't feel strongly about it.

   Murray: I agree.
   ... Now, CSS.

   Norm: Seems like an edge case to me.

   Murray: Yep.
   ... Then I put in these common publishing formats. I had a chat about
   building a DITA step.

   Norm: Yeah, certainly for the office formats, I can imagine steps.
   ... I'm agnostic about leaving them.

   Murray: I thought it might be handy to have common interfaces to these
   document types.
   ... But we're building XProc so that others can build tools like these, so
   maybe we should just leave it out until the fullness of time.
   ... So I think we should take them out.

   Norm: Ok.

   Murray: Similarly, I think someone could develop a UBL step.

   Norm: And we don't have the experience to do it.

   Murray: So, out.

   Norm: We punted in V1.0 because signatures work over sequences of
   characters.

   Some discussion of digital signatures

   Alex: EPUB3 has digital signatures.

   Norm: I think we should leave digital signatures in the list, to remind us
   at least that we might want to reconsider signatures in V.next.

   <scribe> ACTION: Alex to produce a use case with digital signatures in an
   EPU3 document. [recorded in
   [14]http://www.w3.org/2012/06/28-xproc-minutes.html#action01]

   Murray: What about the semantic web? I think we could imagine steps that
   work with the semantic web.

   Alex: We could certainly have a step that extracted RDF from RDFa
   documents.

   Murray: As a core step?

   <scribe> ACTION: Alex to produce a use case for semantic web steps.
   [recorded in [15]http://www.w3.org/2012/06/28-xproc-minutes.html#action02]

   Murray: SMIL out?

   Yes.

   Murray: Mail in?

   Norm: Yes.

   Murray: Non-XML formats.
   ... CSV seems easy.
   ... JSON is obvious too, right.
   ... SGML?

   Norm: Goodness, how would you do that?

   Alex: We'd have to add that to the places where there are inputs.

   Norm: I'd be inclined to limit this list to CSV and JSON.

   Murray: WebDAV?
   ... It's unlikely that you want WebDAV *in* XProc.
   ... The end of that list is a list of reference processors.

   Norm: I think libhtml5 should be added to the list.

   Murray: This document has grown, and there's a lot of good stuff, and
   ultimately we need to produce a R&UC document.
   ... A lot of what's in the back is useful material.
   ... But if we're going to get a R&UC document out, we should separate some
   of it out.
   ... But maybe we should leave it in until 16 August.

   Norm: I'm ok with leaving it in until August.

   Murray: I think we should have some OS steps and some of these other steps
   in F.

   Alex: I think there are a lots of levels of sorting here.

   Murray: But the OS/directory steps seem so fully specified, that we should
   just be able to include them.

   Some discussion of the steps.

   Norm: I think we might just publish them as a note.

   <scribe> ACTION: Norm to draft notes for OS and directory steps [recorded
   in [16]http://www.w3.org/2012/06/28-xproc-minutes.html#action03]

   Murray: I think that's the end of my list.

  Any other business?

   None heard.

   Adjourned.

Summary of Action Items

   [NEW] ACTION: Alex to produce a use case for semantic web steps. [recorded
   in [17]http://www.w3.org/2012/06/28-xproc-minutes.html#action02]
   [NEW] ACTION: Alex to produce a use case with digital signatures in an
   EPU3 document. [recorded in
   [18]http://www.w3.org/2012/06/28-xproc-minutes.html#action01]
   [NEW] ACTION: Norm to draft notes for OS and directory steps [recorded in
   [19]http://www.w3.org/2012/06/28-xproc-minutes.html#action03]

   [End of minutes]

   --------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Minutes formatted by David Booth's [20]scribe.perl version 1.136 ([21]CVS
    log)
    $Date: 2012/06/28 15:26:12 $

References

   Visible links
   1. http://www.w3.org/
   2. http://www.w3.org/XML/XProc/2012/06/28-agenda
   3. http://www.w3.org/2012/06/28-xproc-irc
   4. http://www.w3.org/XML/XProc/2012/06/28-minutes#agenda
   5. http://www.w3.org/XML/XProc/2012/06/28-minutes#item01
   6. http://www.w3.org/XML/XProc/2012/06/28-minutes#item02
   7. http://www.w3.org/XML/XProc/2012/06/28-minutes#item03
   8. http://www.w3.org/XML/XProc/2012/06/28-minutes#item04
   9. http://www.w3.org/XML/XProc/2012/06/28-minutes#item05
  10. http://www.w3.org/XML/XProc/2012/06/28-minutes#item06
  11. http://www.w3.org/XML/XProc/2012/06/28-minutes#ActionSummary
  12. http://www.w3.org/XML/XProc/2012/06/28-agenda
  13. http://www.w3.org/XML/XProc/2012/05/31-minutes
  14. http://www.w3.org/2012/06/28-xproc-minutes.html#action01
  15. http://www.w3.org/2012/06/28-xproc-minutes.html#action02
  16. http://www.w3.org/2012/06/28-xproc-minutes.html#action03
  17. http://www.w3.org/2012/06/28-xproc-minutes.html#action02
  18. http://www.w3.org/2012/06/28-xproc-minutes.html#action01
  19. http://www.w3.org/2012/06/28-xproc-minutes.html#action03
  20. http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
  21. http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/

Received on Thursday, 28 June 2012 15:27:36 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Thursday, 28 June 2012 15:27:37 GMT