p:data and p:load

From: James Fuller <jim@webcomposite.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2011 21:36:04 +0200
To: XProc WG <public-xml-processing-model-wg@w3.org>
I think p:load [1] is somewhat limited in a lot of scenarios where its
desired to load non-xml data into xproc

for example the following would obviously throw an error

as we are not dealing with xml data ... which forces the developer to
use something like a p:identity in conjunction with p:data [2]

p:data is a lot more sophisticated in terms of handling non xml data
and I was wondering if it would be worth harmonising p:load
which could result in us adopting p:data attributes as p:option (and
implicit wrapping behavior) or redefining the step with a non primary
input port
which uses p:data ?

Jim Fuller

[1] p:load http://www.w3.org/TR/xproc/#err.inline.C0027