Namespaces bindings on options/vars/params - node-set results

From: <Toman_Vojtech@emc.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 07:55:10 -0400
To: <public-xml-processing-model-wg@w3.org>
Hi all,

Item 2 in the first numbered list in section 5.7.5 (Namespaces on
variables, options, and parameters) says:

"If the select attribute was used to specify the value and it evaluated
to a node-set, then the in-scope namespaces from the first node in the
selected node-set (or, if it's not an element, its parent) are used."

I was trying to write a test case for this requirement, but I realized
that I don't understand what the above sentence actually means - that
is, in the context of XProc V1, where the types of options/variables and
parameters are strings (or xs:untypedAtomic). Is this sentence some kind
of a leftover that should have been removed, or does it mean that
*before* a node-set result of an XPath expression is converted to a
string, the namespace bindings from the first node in the node-set are
used? If so, could somebody provide an example that would show why this
is needed/useful?

Regards,
Vojtech

--