Re: A imports B, B imports A

From: Henry S. Thompson <ht@inf.ed.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 17:13:23 +0100
To: <Toman_Vojtech@emc.com>
Cc: <public-xml-processing-model-wg@w3.org>

[anon] writes:

> I am now working on a proper (at least I hope) implementation of
> p:import in our processor. I have one question about circular imports:
> One one hand, we say that it is err:XS0021 if the import references are
> circular, but on the other hand, appendix G (Handling Circular and
> Re-entrant Library Imports) seems to suggest that the case "A imports B,
> B imports A" is allowed - there are even two tests in the test suite
> (import-007 and import-008) that expect this to work.
>
> If the tests are correct, can anybody explain to me the reasoning behind
> this?

Because I screwed up?  I wasn't aware/had forgotten that we ruled out
circular imports.  I _think_ the old Appendix G algorithm also allowed
them.

Allowing re-entrant import w/o allowing circular import
seems. . . odd.

XML Schema does not rule out either.

XSLT rules out circular but not re-entrant import or include.

Sigh.

ht
- --
                         Half-time member of W3C Team