W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-xml-processing-model-wg@w3.org > October 2009

XProc Minutes 8 Oct 2009

From: Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Oct 2009 14:33:40 -0400
To: public-xml-processing-model-wg@w3.org
Message-ID: <m2ljjlburf.fsf@nwalsh.com>
See http://www.w3.org/XML/XProc/2009/10/08-minutes

[1]W3C

                                   - DRAFT -

                            XML Processing Model WG

Meeting 155, 08 Oct 2009

   [2]Agenda

   See also: [3]IRC log

Attendees

   Present
           Norm, Paul, Vojtech, Henry, Alex

   Regrets
           Mohamed

   Chair
           Norm

   Scribe
           Norm

Contents

     * [4]Topics

         1. [5]Accept this agenda?
         2. [6]Accept minutes from the previous meeting?
         3. [7]Next meeting: telcon 15 Oct 2009
         4. [8]Review of open issues
         5. [9]163: Output port may be connected to...
         6. [10]Alternate CR draft, replacing "binding" with "connection" in
            relation to input/output ports
         7. [11]Issue 161: Concerns about forwards-compatible mode
         8. [12]Any other business?

     * [13]Summary of Action Items

   --------------------------------------------------------------------------

  Accept this agenda?

   -> [14]http://www.w3.org/XML/XProc/2009/10/08-agenda

   Accepted.

  Accept minutes from the previous meeting?

   -> [15]http://www.w3.org/XML/XProc/2009/10/01-minutes

   Accepted.

  Next meeting: telcon 15 Oct 2009

   Henry gives regrets for 8 Oct

  Review of open issues

   -> [16]http://www.w3.org/XML/XProc/2008/11/cr-comments/

  163: Output port may be connected to...

   Vojtech: I wonder if err:XS0005 is clear in the case of compound steps.

   Some discussion.

   Norm: Unless there's a specific suggestion for how to improve the
   description of err:XS0005, I'm inclined to leave it.

   No dissent heard.

   Norm: I propose that that closes issue 163

   Accepted.

  Alternate CR draft, replacing "binding" with "connection" in relation to
  input/output ports

   Norm explains what he did wrt replacing "binding" with "connection".

   Vojtech: I think it's an improvement.

   Henry: I'm in favor of the change without having looked at it.
   ... It makes sense and I trust you to have gotten it nearly right, so I'm
   not fussed.

   Norm: Is there anyone who wants more time?

   None heard.

   Norm: I propose that we adopt the alternate wording as the new status quo.

   Accepted.

   Vojtech: With this change, I think we should update the schemas and DTDs.

   Norm: yes.

   Henry: I'll fix the schemas

   Norm: I'll fix the RELAX NG.

  Issue 161: Concerns about forwards-compatible mode

   Norm summarizes.

   Henry: How likely is it that people are going to try to do this?
   ... If it's something that's going to happen a lot is going to be
   compromised to allow something that isn't going to happen a lot then I'm
   opposed.
   ... It seems to me that most of the benefit of what you just said would be
   to simply change the error from static to dynamic.

   Norm: The wrinkle is you only get one declaration.

   Vojtech: How would this influence the V1 pipelines. Suppose I have a V1
   step and I simply use p:identity and I intentionally refer to an output
   port called foo.

   Norm: That would still be an error.

   Vojtech: If we decide to introduce some changes, this is something we can
   test.

   Alex: Your saying it would be a dynamic error to evaluate a step that
   contains unknown children or attributes.
   ... But your saying unknown inputs/outputs have a well-defined behavior.

   Norm: Explains his rationale again, about the fact that there's only one
   declaratin.

   Alex: That's a value judgement about how important the output is. In that
   case, it would be nice to know that the output was non-critical.

   Henry: Add into the mix the fact that we have a story about what you're
   allowed to do without changing the name of the step.
   ... I think Alex's observation is correct that someone may refactor the
   structure of a step so that the fundamental output is split across two
   ports.
   ... The correct answer there is that we have to extend our notion of what
   amounts to a category of backwards compatible changes.
   ... At the moment it only contains optional options, but we could extend
   it to include collateral inputs and outputs.
   ... So if you're going to make a non-benign change, you must use a new
   step name.

   Norm: Yes, I think that would help.

   Henry: I think it's the usual story, Norm you should write up an editor's
   draft for us to review.

   Norm: I'm tempted to delay publication of our interim CR draft by at least
   a week so that we can resolve this.

   Alex: I'd prefer to resolve this first.

   <alexmilowski> (sorry, I have to go. I have an appointment at 9am.)

   Vojtech: There's the related question of what is the default version.

   Norm: I think if you don't import a library, you get what the processor
   does.

   More discussion about what to do with input/output ports

   Norm: I'm happy to make it a dynamic error to attempt to read from the
   port in the V1 case, it just looks like more work.

   <scribe> ACTION: Norm to promote the alternate text draft to the status
   quo. [recorded in
   [17]http://www.w3.org/2009/10/08-xproc-minutes.html#action01]

   <scribe> ACTION: Norm to produce an alternate draft with the proposed
   versioning changes. [recorded in
   [18]http://www.w3.org/2009/10/08-xproc-minutes.html#action02]

  Any other business?

   Norm: I will be going to TPAC.
   ... Welcome back Vojtech!

   Adjourned.

Summary of Action Items

   [NEW] ACTION: Norm to produce an alternate draft with the proposed
   versioning changes. [recorded in
   [19]http://www.w3.org/2009/10/08-xproc-minutes.html#action02]
   [NEW] ACTION: Norm to promote the alternate text draft to the status quo.
   [recorded in [20]http://www.w3.org/2009/10/08-xproc-minutes.html#action01]

   [End of minutes]

   --------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Minutes formatted by David Booth's [21]scribe.perl version 1.135 ([22]CVS
    log)
    $Date: 2009/10/08 18:33:02 $

References

   1. http://www.w3.org/
   2. http://www.w3.org/XML/XProc/2009/10/08-agenda
   3. http://www.w3.org/2009/10/08-xproc-irc
   4. http://www.w3.org/XML/XProc/2009/10/08-minutes#agenda
   5. http://www.w3.org/XML/XProc/2009/10/08-minutes#item01
   6. http://www.w3.org/XML/XProc/2009/10/08-minutes#item02
   7. http://www.w3.org/XML/XProc/2009/10/08-minutes#item03
   8. http://www.w3.org/XML/XProc/2009/10/08-minutes#item04
   9. http://www.w3.org/XML/XProc/2009/10/08-minutes#item05
  10. http://www.w3.org/XML/XProc/2009/10/08-minutes#item06
  11. http://www.w3.org/XML/XProc/2009/10/08-minutes#item07
  12. http://www.w3.org/XML/XProc/2009/10/08-minutes#item08
  13. http://www.w3.org/XML/XProc/2009/10/08-minutes#ActionSummary
  14. http://www.w3.org/XML/XProc/2009/10/08-agenda
  15. http://www.w3.org/XML/XProc/2009/10/01-minutes
  16. http://www.w3.org/XML/XProc/2008/11/cr-comments/
  17. http://www.w3.org/2009/10/08-xproc-minutes.html#action01
  18. http://www.w3.org/2009/10/08-xproc-minutes.html#action02
  19. http://www.w3.org/2009/10/08-xproc-minutes.html#action02
  20. http://www.w3.org/2009/10/08-xproc-minutes.html#action01
  21. http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
  22. http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/
Received on Thursday, 8 October 2009 18:34:17 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Thursday, 8 October 2009 18:34:18 GMT