Re: C14N remark

From: Innovimax SARL <innovimax@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2008 18:41:56 +0200
To: Toman_Vojtech@emc.com
Cc: public-xml-processing-model-wg@w3.org

I'm not sure to follow

I was thinking that C14N is first of all a serialisation process

Here are the first few words of the spec
Canonical XML [XML-C14N] specifies a standard serialization of XML that, ...

Since we are rather passing infoset between step, we just don't care

Only one thing is to remove comment (which is not always use) could be
simulated with p:delete

But probably, I'm all wrong...

On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 4:06 PM,  <Toman_Vojtech@emc.com> wrote:
> >From the meeting minutes October 2:
>>   ... On C14N, we've already discussed this and said it was a
> user-defined
>>   option on serialization.
>>   Norm: Good point! Thank you, Mohamed.
> True, but do we mention this in the spec somewhere? (Perhaps we don't
> have to...)
> It just occurred to me that having C14N as an option on p:serialization
> can make using C14N in XProc quite tedious. Because it is on the
> p:serialization level, you can do C14N only in environments where you
> actually *serialize* the outputs (p:store or when you run a pipeline in
> a shell, for instance). But if you want to do C14N in step A and then
> pass its (canonicalized) output to step B, you are in trouble. You will
> have to run step A, store its result (with C14N turned on) to an
> external location, and let step B read the data from there. Not very
> nice nor reliable, I think.
> So, it seems to me that if you want to do something serious with C14N in
> XProc, you will have to use some sort of an C14N extension step for
> that.
> Regards,
> Vojtech

Innovimax SARL