Re: Determining whether a pipeline has a (defaulted) output

From: Rui Lopes <rlopes@di.fc.ul.pt>
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2007 18:32:22 +0100
To: public-xml-processing-model-wg@w3.org

Norman Walsh wrote:
> I've already encountered the problem that the harness I wrote for
> running test pipelines can't tell what inputs and outputs to expect
> for the pipeline by simply inspecting it.

Could this be solved by specifying algorithms for pipeline inspections
procedures, and publish them as a WG Note, with accompanying
pseudo-code/real-code implementation, instead of having to wander
through XProc's spec prose?

Two algorithms that come to my mind are:

- converting a "default-centric" pipeline (i.e., a pipeline having, at
least, one defaulting rule applied) into a fully explicit pipeline
(read: no defaults);

- analyzing a pipeline in order to distinguish between compound and
atomic steps.

Certainly, other interesting inspection algorithms may be leveraged. I
believe that, when XProc takes off, tool developers will find these
algorithms useful (e.g., (graphical) editors, validators, testbeds,
documentation generators, or even XProc implementors).

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Rui