RE: Making progress

Norman Walsh
> Sent: Thursday, 2007 May 24 14:03
> To: public-xml-processing-model-wg@w3.org
> Subject: Making progress

> Obviously, we have to reach consensus on a design that satisfies our
> use cases and requirements and which we all feel meets the needs of
> our ultimate users.

No, that's not obvious to me at all.

I have always thought the tendency in W3C work was to try
to put too much into V1.

I personally (and, for that matter, as an AC rep) feel that
a WG's chartered time line is at least as important--if not
more so--than any particular requirement/use case, and I
would strongly argue to drop features from V1 in order to
meet our charter deadline.

The longer it takes to get out V1, the more people realize
it will be even longer until V2 which makes people more
interested in getting more into V1 which makes it longer
to get out V1....

My suggestion would be to drop features (provided we have
a design that doesn't foreclose on them in the future) as
necessary to get out a V1 before our charter ends.  Then
we can spend the time at our f2f in November discussing V2
instead of fooling around with CR comments or whatever.

paul