Re: What can a step implementation ask the pipeline processor?

> Having the options available to the XSLT step as variables through the
> XPath context wouldn't have any effect on the variables or parameters
> available to the stylesheet. The XSLT spec specifies the initial context
> for stylesheet evaluation.

I was commenting on the following:

On 5/17/07, Henry S. Thompson <ht@inf.ed.ac.uk> wrote:
>  [Wrt step implementations] The XPath context for evaluation of
>  user-authored xpath expressions evaluated by step implementations
>  SHOULD include at least all the *in-scope options* in the step
>  environment visible as bound (XPath) variables, along with
>  appropriate bindings for p:episode and p:document-position.

To me, this is saying that when a step evaluates an XPath expression,
options available in the scope for that step are exposed as variables
to the XPath expression. So if an XSLT step evaluates an XPath
expression $foo, and that the pipeline has a foo option, then that
$foo evaluates to the value of the option.

I don't like this, and hopefully I am misreading Henry's comment.

> I'd like to avoid making the availability of the options conditional
> if at all possible.

I don't think that it is "availability" that matters. What matter is
if the step expose options to XPath expression or not, and how
(variables vs. function).

Alex
--
Orbeon Forms - Web 2.0 Forms for the Enterprise
http://www.orbeon.com/