Re: Standard components

From: Norman Walsh <Norman.Walsh@Sun.COM>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 10:52:21 -0400
To: public-xml-processing-model-wg@w3.org
/ Alex Milowski <alex@milowski.org> was heard to say:
| 1.8 Serialize / 1.9 Parse
|>
|>   Do we really need these?
|
| Yes, yes, yes.

No, no, no.

And if we must, then surely the semantics has to be that the *entire*
document is escaped and returned in a new wrapper:

becomes

  <wrapper>&lt;doc>&lt;foo/>&lt;/doc></wrapper>

| 2.2 RELAX NG Validate
|>
|>   I wonder if we need an option to enable annotations and data typing?
|
| If there are options, let's enumerate them.  I didn't put any on it because
| I'm
| not a Relax NG expert.

Yeah, I need to think about that one a bit.

| 2.3 XInclude From Sequence
|>
|>   Barf. I want to solve this problem in a more general way
|
| OK.   Let's discuss that.

On the list.

| 3.3 Label Elements
|>
|>   How does the component garauntee that it doesn't introduce duplicate
|> IDs?
|
| Well... it sees the whole document, right ?

So it doesn't stream, it buffers the whole thing. Fine, but it has to
say that. Or it should say that it streams and uses a particular
pattern for generating IDs and if you get dups, the component fails.