Re: p:when : what if it not a valid XPath

From: Jeni Tennison <jeni@jenitennison.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 19:34:06 +0100
To: public-xml-processing-model-wg@w3.org

Norman Walsh wrote:
> / Innovimax SARL <innovimax@gmail.com> was heard to say:
> | The way it is written in the spec
> | [[ Each p:when branch of the p:choose has a test attribute which
> | **must** contain an [XPath 1.0] expression. ]]
> |
> | It seems it is a static error if the p:when do not contains an XPath
> | If it is the case, please add a static error for reporting that
>
> Beyond a more general static error (not yet defined, but clearly
> needing to be) for "required attribute not present" on an element?
>
> You don't want to check the validity of the XPath expression, do you?
> Or do you?

It should be an error if XProc attributes that expect XPath expressions
or XSLT patterns have incorrect syntax. Personally, I think it should be
a static error since it can be detected statically, but if it's made a
dynamic error (presumably because that makes implementation easier?)
then processors should have the option of reporting it statically.

For expressions/patterns in option values, the error has to be dynamic,
but processors should again be able to report them statically.

Cheers,

Jeni
--
Jeni Tennison